Twitter has some awesome writer and reader friendly hashtags, one of which my favorites is #YANeedsMore. I’ve been gravitating toward that section in my bookstore more and more lately when I usually hang around the fantasy and science fiction, and it was definitely interesting to see how everyone on Twitter expresses their YA wishes.
Some of my favorites include:
- True opposite-sex friendships
- LGBTQ+ characters
- POC characters
- Diversity in general
- All sorts of different families — adoption, single parents, living with aunts and uncles, etc.
- Strong female friendships
- Healthy male friendships
- Books were problems aren’t magically fixed by getting into a relationship
- Characters who aren’t interested in romance in general
- Dinosaurs, dragons, and masquerade balls
I can spend so much time perusing that hashtag on Twitter. It’s given me plenty of thoughts and ideas for my own writings.
What about you all? What do you think YA, or other genres, need more of?