Advertisements
RSS

Title Woes

03 Oct

How difficult is it for you to come up with titles for your stories?

I’m not even going to touch titling chapters… Although maybe those are simpler than trying to find that perfect sound for your entire book?

I’m curious if anyone has found themselves in the same predicament as Rachel and I have. It’s not really a problem, just something we found both amusing and a touch exasperating. Both of us, at one time or another, have found books at our local Barnes and Noble that share titles with one or two of our work-in-progress stories.

She found a book called Hunter, while I found one called Bloodmage.

Bloodmage is a sequel to a book titled Battle Mage by Stephen Aryan. I picked up Battle Mage to give it a shot, because why not?

Of course, now I’m wondering if I will end up reading Aryan’s Bloodmage before finishing my own…

Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

Advertisements

18 Comments

Posted by on October 3, 2016 in Home

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

18 responses to “Title Woes

1. azpascoe

October 3, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Similar: I had this (I thought) awesome idea for a novel when I was in high school, that I may well revisit one day, and then a few years later saw something that looked similar (if only in the idea of the main character) in a book store. I wasn’t pleased. Titles are incredibly difficult though; I wonder if you looked long and hard enough, anything you might come up with would turn out to have already been done? It seems not unlikely, simply because of the sheer volume of books out there in the world… But that doesn’t mean I have to like it -_-

• Kris P.

October 9, 2016 at 7:23 am

Rachel and I were thinking of a co-author project at one point as well, then we went to the bookstore fairly recently after brainstorming our idea and found a book that was extremely similar. Then it makes us wonder, did we see it before and just forgot about it when our subconscious remembered? Titles are difficult, especially since most of the time, they’re not going to stick, no matter how perfect they seemed to be at first.

• azpascoe

October 9, 2016 at 11:19 am

Exactly. And everything I seem to come up with I can’t help but think it’s a little bit lame -_- All part of the process, but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating!

2. Skye Hegyes

October 3, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Some I figure out easily, while I have trouble with others. I’ve done a blog post about the title for Puck’s Choice once upon a time, and I have another one coming up soon about book titles for another series as well, but I think it’s time for a post about titles in general…

3. tahenryauthoress

October 3, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I spent weeks thinking up the perfect name, only to google and discover someone already used it. sigh. In the end I think my title implies something else to those who haven’t read the book than it does to those who have. sigh.

• jac forsyth

October 4, 2016 at 6:39 am

In the UK there is no copyright on a book title. Not sure if it applies elsewhere, but it’s worth looking into if you love your title.

Liked by 2 people

• Kris P.

October 9, 2016 at 7:25 am

Titles are just trouble in general for me, especially since most of my writing is by the seat of my pants. What seems to be the perfect title after one writing session may not seem so relevant after another session!

Liked by 1 person

4. Stephen Aryan (@SteveAryan)

October 4, 2016 at 4:30 am

I hate coming up with names for books. Battlemage was about the tenth title that we knocked around after my original title was deemed to not be quite right by the publisher. It seemed an easy thing to stick to the ‘mage’ thing for the following books, but even then we had to go around the houses a bit before settling on Bloodmage and then Chaosmage. So, it’s never easy and even what you think is the perfect title can be thrown out by the publisher as something like it already exists, or the one you’ve suggested is too obscure, too weird, not suitable etc.

• Kris P.

October 9, 2016 at 7:32 am

Definitely a good point! Books can go through so many different titles as they’re written and rewritten, I’m sure it gets dizzying. I like having a theme, like “mage,” for a book series, it makes it easier to keep the books connected.

Also, holy crap, the actual author took the time to comment on my blog! Thank you so much for sharing! 😀

5. jac forsyth

October 4, 2016 at 6:37 am

Don’t underestimate them either. A title is like the first point of contact with a reader and the first chain in a link. Title to cover, cover to blurb, blurb to first line… it’s like a chain. They have to lead from one to the other and at any point the link can be broken and the reader falls away.

• Kris P.

October 9, 2016 at 7:33 am

It’s so much pressure, isn’t it? On that note with the cover, you have to make sure (if you get any say in what the cover looks like if you’re working with a publisher house, of course) that the font isn’t too obscure or hidden within the colors and pictures of the cover itself. Nothing turns me off more than having to hunt for the title of the book!

• jac forsyth

October 9, 2016 at 7:40 am

I totally agree, the story can be brilliant, but if you can’t get a reader to pick up the book within a couple of seconds, it’s going nowhere. Same with book spines.

• Kris P.

October 9, 2016 at 7:55 am

What confuses me the most is when there is a book with the title of a character’s name. Depending on the cover choice, it usually takes me a few minutes to figure out which name is the title and which is the author.

• jac forsyth