One way I try to develop new characters is to stick them into new and different situations, even if the scene has nothing to do with their story. There are a few memes, if you will, for original characters like this flying around on DeviantArt, which is where I first saw something like this. I thought it would be fun to create my own and share it with others.
The rules are simple. Pick ten of your original characters (or favorite fictional characters, it matters not) to put into the following scenarios. Try not to read the scenarios beforehand!
Got your ten characters? Go!
- Character four is the apprentice or newest coworker of character seven. How does it work out?
- Characters one and nine are attempting to bake a cake together. Does the kitchen get destroyed in the process? Are they able to work well together?
- Characters two and five are planning a surprise party for character ten. Is ten pleasantly surprised? Between two and five, who is more likely to spoil the surprise?
- Congratulations — characters three and six are getting married! How does the wedding go?
- Who would eight rather get stuck under the mistletoe with, ten or one?
- Which pair of characters would work together the best at raising a puppy?
- Characters eight, seven, and two are going on a road trip together! Will they survive?
- Character four is tasked with babysitting triplets. Which other character does four turn to for help?
- Character six is captain of a sports team. Which other character would one want on his/her/their team — three, five, or seven?
- Who would character five rather be snowed in with, two or eight?