Have you seen this movie yet? If you haven’t, please go and see it! It’s marvelously done what with giving it a few fresh takes while also staying true to the original animated film. Below are a few of my favorite aspects about the movie itself (warning — there may be spoilers!):
- Emma Watson’s Belle was badass. Watson’s Belle, despite the movie’s time period, was a modern woman. Instead of crying on her bed like the animated Belle when she got to her castle bedroom, Watson’s Belle was immediately devising a plan to escape. She was as much of a hero as the beast was in the final fight against Gaston and the angry villagers.
- Josh Gad’s Le Fou had a fantastic story arc of his own. There was tons of controversy surrounding his character when it was announced that he was to be Disney’s first openly gay character. However, it was a beautifully done arc, with it being subtle enough in the beginning and giving him a fitting ending.
- I could go on all day about the rest of the casting — honestly, the cast was superb! Ian McKellen, Luke Evans, Dan Stevens, Kevin Kline, Emma Thompson… Every actor was believable in his or her role and they did so well!
- The music! The choreography! The singing and dancing numbers were just as magical as the animated movie, especially Gaston and Be Our Guest. There was even music that reminded me of the animated movie, giving an old Disney fan like me a nice throwback. Even the new songs were woven in beautifully.
- Just everything about the scenery and the story itself… There were definitely questionable moments about the story in the original movie (such as the villagers not caring that their prince is, more or less, a beast for a decade or so and Belle’s mother), but this movie explained it all well. The scenery was gorgeous, both with the settings and the costumes (did you see Belle’s golden ballgown?!).
- The script itself was very close to the animated movie, but it was updated enough to keep the story fresh. There were plenty of snappy quips between characters, too!
Despite how expensive movie tickets are nowadays, I would totally go and see this movie again in the theaters!