This past weekend one of my co-workers was in a wedding. She showed us some pictures and we admired her dress for a few moments before she stated, “It had pockets.”
The knowledge that the dress had pockets just made it ten times better.
I’m not a dress kind of girl. Pretty sure the only dresses that are in my closet are from a couple of weddings when I was a bridesmaid myself and maybe my senior prom dress from ten years ago. But hearing that a dress has pockets makes me so incredibly happy, as it does for most of the women around me. Pockets! You don’t have to lug around a pocketbook!
It’s something small and silly but, hey, women love pockets. Dunno why the folks who design our jeans haven’t realized that yet.
With that said, I’ve been kind of feeling like I’m in a rut lately. Nothing too bad, but with the changing schedules that tend to come when summer ends, I just feel like everything is all over the place. I need to recharge and just take a deep breath, and think of the little things that make me happy, aside from dress pockets:
- Sleeping in my own bed after being away for a couple of nights
- Walking barefoot in the grass or sand
- Being greeted by my pup when I first walk in the door
- Even being greeted by the cat — he’s a bit more aloof, but he tends to come into the room after I come into the house to give me a little greeting
- Seeing how happy the turtle can be when she’s exploring out of her tank
- Watching all the baby fish that have “appeared” in my sister’s tank these past couple of months
- Animals in general, really
- Writing something I’m really proud of
- Likewise, rereading old works and pieces and still being happy about them
- The crinkling sound of written notebook pages
- Having that one pen that glides so smoothly across the page
- Video games
- Green tea
- Thunderstorms, especially when I’m staying at home for the day
- Laughing until my stomach hurts
- Pajama days
I’m thankful I can keep going with my little list, and I hope you can enjoy making a list of the little things that make you happy as well.